Fight Your California DUI Arrest
The penalties for driving under the influence in California are harsh, even if no one was harmed. Your license is suspended. You face steep fines and possible jail time. A DUI conviction can also negatively affect employment, auto insurance rates and other areas of your life.
At Bulldog Law, we provide the skilled and aggressive DUI defense you need. Our experienced DUI lawyers can challenge every facet from the traffic stop to the breathalyzer test. We work to get the case dismissed or to soften the punishment and preserve your driving privileges.
We’ve Handled Every DUI Scenario
Our team has defended every type of case, including:
- First-time DUI: We often help first-time offenders secure alternative treatment.
- Repeat DUI: We protect repeat offenders from harsh consequences.
- Aggravated DUI: Certain factors can make a charge even more severe.
- Underage DUI: Underage drivers should not have their future ruined by a DUI charge.
- CDL truck drivers: Our team can help truck drivers protect their careers.
- Driving under the influence of drugs: Drugged driving is just as severe as drunk driving; we can help.
- Implied consent violation: If you refused a breath test, we will try to make the situation right.
- Drunk driving accidents: We provide assertive defense for drivers involved in an accident.
DUI defense is fact-specific. We look at the unique circumstances of your arrest. Did the officer have probable cause to pull you over? Were you taken into custody for “flunking” the field sobriety tests? Was the breathalyzer properly calibrated and administered? We leave no stone unturned in trying to get your DUI charges dismissed or reduced, and we are fully prepared to fight for you at trial.
What To Know About DUI In California
DUI checkpoints are legal not only in California but also in the rest of the U.S. Law enforcement officers have the right to set up traffic stops to check drivers’ sobriety. They often do on evenings and weekends, which are common times for drinking and driving. If a law enforcement officer pulls you over, the state’s implied consent laws mean that you must provide a breath test to measure your blood alcohol content (BAC). If you refuse, you will face the suspension of your license and other penalties.
If the state arraigns you and charges you with DUI, you must attend an administrative hearing within 10 days to challenge the suspension of your license. If you fail to attend this hearing, the court may suspend your license automatically. You and your DUI attorney will then have the chance to negotiate a plea bargain with the District Attorney’s Office or proceed to trial if you decide to plead not guilty.
The Harsh Consequences Of A Drunk Driving Conviction
California has some of the strictest DUI laws in the country.
- A first offense is punishable by a fine of up to $2,000, 48 hours in jail, four-month license suspension and mandatory alcohol education. The penalties are increased if your BAC was over .16.
- A second offense within 10 years carries a fine up to $2,000, minimum jail of 96 hours, one-year license suspension and 30 months of DUI school.
- A third DUI within 10 years is punished by jail of 120 days to one year, three-year license suspension, DUI school, probation up to five years and a mandatory ignition interlock.
- Breath test refusal triggers one year of license suspension with no option for ignition interlock.
The Clock Is Ticking On Your Driver’s License
You have 10 days from the date of your DUI arrest to request an administrative license hearing. This is separate from the criminal charges. We may be able to save your license or get you a limited permit to drive to work or school. Don’t let the deadline expire!
Get Our Fighters On Your Side
The court penalties and collateral consequences demand that you hire an experienced DUI defense lawyer. There is too much at stake to plead guilty or try to defend yourself in court. Bulldog Law, is experienced and tenacious. We give you a fighting chance to beat the charges or avoid the worst punishment.
We have multiple offices throughout California. Call us today at 888-983-1217 to arrange your free consultation or contact us online. Hablamos español.