Passionate about what we do. Passionate about serving you.

  1. Home
  2.  → 
  3. Immigration Law
  4.  → Preparing for international travel as an F-1 student

Preparing for international travel as an F-1 student

On Behalf of | Apr 15, 2024 | Immigration Law

After a challenging school year far from home, the thought of a relaxing vacation or seeing your family again may be especially appealing. Traveling outside the United States is one sure way to maximize your well-earned break. However, you should know the requirements to maintain your F-1 status before making plans.

Here are some essentials to keep in mind.

Considerations before traveling outside the U.S.

Before booking a flight, make sure your travel documents are in order. Your passport, for instance, should be valid at least six months after your planned return to the U.S.

Take time to review the status of your F-1 visa as well. If your visa has expired or you’ve used up all your allowable entries, you must renew it at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your home country before you can re-enter the U.S.

As an F-1 visa holder, you must also acquire a Form I-20 signed by your DSO (Designated School Official) within the last 12 months or six months if you are on Post-Completion OPT. Receiving an endorsement may take some time, so planning ahead is best.

Here are other documents that are not required but are good to have on hand:

  • Proof of financial support (such as scholarship letters, family bank statements or documentation from a sponsor)
  • Proof of student status (such as your transcript or enrollment documents)

Your re-entry depends on these documents and thorough preparation. Staying on top of deadlines and requirements will be crucial to avoid problems.

What if you encounter issues during re-entry?

Your return to the United States should go smoothly provided you carry valid and updated documents. Yet, issues may arise during your travel or upon re-entry. Some barriers to re-entry are incomplete documents, a visa that expired while traveling, staying outside the U.S. for over five months or major changes in your academic program.

If you have any concerns about international travel or re-entry as an F-1 visa holder, it may be advisable to speak with an immigration attorney. Their guidance can help prevent minor issues from escalating further.

Taking a short trip abroad is a welcome pause from your studies. While it can be an exciting venture, you must not forget the responsibilities that come with your student visa. Your desire to step outside the country shouldn’t put your studies at risk.